Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The First Step




Two years ago on a rainy day I was at work mundanely typing away.  For no good reason other than I thought I should I deviated from my standard schedule and decided to go deposit my paycheck in the middle of the day.     As I left the deluge that was the parking lot I saw a flash of fur dart in front of me.   On a lark, again, I decided to stop and lower myself straight into a puddle so I could look under a seriously dented Chevy.   There staring back at me was teeny tiny kitten. 

I grabbed this sopping wet feline and walked around seeing if she was anyone's.  Not a chance.  At the mixed martial arts boxing gym next door they categorically informed me "that cat's yours now." Ha ha, yeah right, I thought.  Truthfully it took a month of trying to pawn her off to friends (with only one nibble that was dismissed on the grounds that her last cat had been eaten by a coyote) before I finally acquiesced.   Call it chance or fate, whatever your poison, Peppermint the Cat had arrived into my life.

She didn't become my muse until a year later when in a bid to reclaim my inner child I started drawing pictures.  Usually the most fascinating thing to try and capture through art is a living one, and since she was the only other member of the animal kingdom under my roof it was a perfect fit for sporadic scribbles.

Yet fate, once again, dusted my mind with inspiration prompting me to start the Peppermint Project (aka Pics of Peps).  Starting today, one picture every day for a year (still not sure how vacations are going to fit into this but I've got one coming up so it'll be figured out soon).

Absolute silliness?  Completely.  But as Arthur Rimbaud noted, "Genius is the recovery of childhood at will."

Hope any and all of Peps 365 portraits to come will bring you a smile!  

Kat



No comments:

Post a Comment